Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Tears That Turned Into Courage

  I mustered all the courage in me to write this. I didn't feel like sharing it or beg for anyone's pity. But I realized by sharing this, I am not only raising awareness but hopefully putting out a message out there where everyone can learn from. Women shouldn't be treated like this and men need to start standing up for what's right and do the right thing as well. 

We've heard different stories especially since quite recently different men and women have started to raise awareness on the #metoo campaign. Different stories that speak of how they were looked at or touched in an inappropriate and sexual way. It saddens me that this happens to different people. It happens to anyone at anytime, and everywhere. I have experienced this myself countless times. Just to give everyone a picture? Let me share some of those instances. 


1. I just came down from the bus in town (alabang town center) to get to my ballet rehearsals. It was about 6:00pm and the studio is just walking distance from the mall. I was on the sidewalk right outside the mall, in a rush to get to the studio. While I was walking, about 4 men (keep in mind they were 4 separate men. They weren't together in any way) looked at me inappropriately. In a span of less than 10 minutes, already 4 men looked at me that way. What's worse is one of them was an old man who looked at me very inappropriately and stuck out his tongue in a sexual way. I was so in shock I didn't know what to do and I just walked past him and tried to get to where I was going as quickly as I can. I was in tears after that and tried to suck it up before coming to class. 


2. I was on the same sidewalk outside the mall. It was around early afternoon. First, a group of men walked passed by me and looked back at me. They were starring at me from head to toe inappropriately. I walked past it and as I thought that was the last of the day, another man looked at me. Not only did he do that, he also said "Hello bebe" or something like that. There were quite a few people there and a security guard nearby (the entrance for the department store employees) so I took my chance and spoke up. I couldn't take it anymore because it's been happening quite frequently so I spoke. I said "ano kuya? Bakit ba? Alam mo ba na bastos yang ginagawa mo?" He got scared and to my surprise entered the entrance for the employees. And as expected the guard just looked at me and looked at him and did not take any action. I was in tears afterwards not knowing what to do or how it could stop. 


3. On the same sidewalk. I was walking and suddenly a police car which was going on a normal speed started to slow down when it came near me and honked. Yes, it was a police car with actual policemen inside. This actually happened twice but on different days. The second time it happened, not only did the car slow down and honk at me, the police man also winked at me. I was in tears again after those instances. I felt so helpless. I just kept praying and asking for comfort. How are those men who are supposedly the one you're reporting it to, are actually the ones doing it? 

Take note that in the first story, I was already wearing a big sweater and jeans. For the second one, I was wearing a jacket over my shirt and jeans as well. Too hot to wear those but isn't it saddening that even with those outfits these things still happen? Keep in mind that these are only four of the many experiences I have. It happens all the time, at any place. It is so heartbreaking because those people have mothers, daughters, sisters, and wives. How can they do such things to other women? 

After this series of happenings, I started to add something in my prayer list. I started to pray for peace for myself and all the men and women who experience the same things. I started to pray for more Godly men who know how to look away. I started to pray for the men and women who will teach and lead the next generation into doing the right thing. I started to pray for those men and women who continue to do such things. Lord give them the right state of mind. Let us always be vigilant, stand up for what's right, and influence people to do what is right. Always always pray. 

No comments:

Post a Comment